- Inline SVG: Requires XHTML or HTML5, neither which are supported by IE prior to IE9. In addition, as all my figures are in separate files, it makes no sense to inline them.
- <img> tag: Doesn’t support interactive SVG. No fallback method.
- <iframe> tag: On its way out in HTML4 and XHTML, but resurrected in HTML5. Intended in HTML5 to sandbox content from other sources. Again no fallback method.
- <embed> tag: Never in any HTML or XHTML standard but widely supported. As a matter of practicality, included in HTML5. Intended for content that needs a plug-in (this was the method used by ASV). Again no fallback method.
- <object> tag: In both HTML and XHTML standards. If the content referenced in the tag cannot be displayed, the content between the opening and closing <object> tags is exposed providing a simple fallback method. This is our obvious choice for including SVG content.